The Arts in Brunswick
The highly successful ArtBank of Southside Virginia brings an annual series of theatre, music, and dance performances to Brunswick; in its thirteenth year, ArtBank selections have wowed 48,000 Brunswick subscribers with over 145 programs.
- The ArtBank includes performances each year at the schools
- Recent performances have included the Richmond Symphony, Richmond Ballet, Shakespearian plays and hot selections from Broadway
- Provides free or minimal cost programs that include painting, poetry, music, storytelling and dance
- An ArtBank art show provides the opportunity to buy local and regional fine art.
Museums and History
- The Brunswick Museum in Lawrenceville is a good stop to learn about county culture over the years. Brunswick and other nearby counties are dotted with interesting museums that cover everything from railroading to dolls.
- Fort Christanna, a colonial fort laid out in 1714 by Virginia’s Governor Alexander Spotswood.
- Easy access to the numerous museums in Richmond and Washington, D.C.
Annual festivals abound with a variety of choices:
- The Taste of Brunswick Festival’s Stew Championship cook-off in the fall
- Many local clubs also keep us well fed with annual fests that bring in Chesapeake Bay seafood, top quality pork and beef cooked in the best southern styles.
Our annual Brunswick Stew Festivals give many civic and cultural organizations as well as
our Stewmasters the opportunity to give thousands of visitors a true taste of Brunswick.
Brunswick Stewmaster prepares a kettle of our famous Brunswick Stew.
The historical marker for Fort Christanna commemorating the earliest days of Brunswick County, Virginia
Ballet and Fort Christanna Marker photos courtesy of
Kevin and Susan Keeney.