Businesses that locate here enjoy low operating costs, a stable and business-friendly tax structure, and the many other benefits of being located in the State of Virginia, which for the past five years has been ranked one of the Best States for Business by Forbes.com. Virginia is a right-to-work state and our manufacturers have one of the lowest average workers’ compensation costs in the country.
Brunswick County is working to diversify its economic base by attracting new industry and supporting the growth of existing industry. To grow and prosper in today’s environment where markets are largely global and employment is increasingly knowledge-based, our policies and efforts are developed to be in step with technological changes in production and other business needs. We work individually with businesses to meet their specific needs. This includes expediting the regulatory process, finding the best location, and financial incentives that can make the investment more feasible. There are a number of programs that help us meet these business growth goals. For example:
- As one of the communities in the Southside Virginia region that has experienced some distress because it historically depended significantly on tobacco production, our county benefits from funding available to accelerate economic transformation. This support, through the Virginia Tobacco Indemnification and Community Revitalization Commission, allows our county to offer industrial properties to businesses at a very attractive cost and other incentives.
- The County is one of Virginia’s localities that benefits from an Enterprise Zone Program designation.
- The County is covered by the Hub Zone Incentives Program and it is a New Markets Tax Credit Area.
To readily meet the site needs of companies looking for new or expansion locations, we have three Business and Industrial Parks:
- I-85 Business Center Park, a 114-acre Park located on US Route 1 just off I-85 in both an Enterprise Zone and a Technology Zone;
- Brunswick County Industrial Park, an 85-acre Park located on US Route 58 in an Enterprise Zone;