Brunswick County has a civilian labor force of 6,200 with an unemployment rate of 5.3% (December 2016). The extended labor market area has a civilian labor force of 103,724 with an unemployment rate of 6.6%. Brunswick County has a high school graduation rate of 77% that is steadily improving and, in looking at the population 18 and older, 22% has some college, 7% have Associate Degrees, 7% have Bachelor’s Degrees and 5% have Graduate or Profession Degrees.
The County is part of the Virginia's Growth Alliance (VGA), which consists of the counties of Amelia, Brunswick, Buckingham, Charlotte, Cumberland, Greensville, Lunenburg, Mecklenburg, Nottoway and Prince Edwards, and the City of Emporia.
Virginia is the northernmost right-to-work state in the Eastern US.
- Live & Work in Brunswick
Source: U.S. Census Bureau, OnTheMap Application and LEHD Origin-Destination Employment Statistics, 2012
Employment by Sector
- Education / Health
- Retail & Wholesale
- Accomodation & Food Services
- Professional, Business & Other Services
- Transportation, Warehousing & Utilities
- Finance, Insurance, Real Estate
- Ag, Forestry, Fishing & Hunting
Career Readiness Certificates
Brunswick County 130
Extended Labor Market Area 515
Southside Virginia Community College provides quality educational programs that prepare students for transfer to four-year colleges and universities, and an occupational-technical program to educate, train and retrain workers for Southside business and industry. Workforce Development offerings include:
- courses to pursue degrees and certificates;
- classes, forums, lectures, exhibits, short courses, art and music festivals to promote cultural affairs of the community;
- various community development programs and seminars;
- an offering of non-cataloged special courses or programs to the community's industries, businesses or professions, directed and taught at the college or at the client's site by the faculty and staff of the college;
- special services such as a Speaker's Bureau, use of college facilities, tours and visits and other services as they are needed.
Latest Employment Rates (December 2016):
Brunswick County 5.3%
United States 4.5%